Cargill is conducting an internship for multiple U.S Locations.
Engineer Internship 2023:
To be considered for employment, candidates must apply online and complete the entire application process. Complete applications are required prior to participating in an interview process.
Gain real experience. Learn from the best. See how your work matters.
Our internships/co-ops are designed to prepare you for your career journey, not a final destination. When you join our team, you are welcomed into a community committed to providing you with a safe environment to learn, grow and cultivate your skills. With our expansive learning resources, our well-respected leaders, and our carefully curated development courses, you will be equipped to confidently solve tomorrow’s global issues.
And, truthfully, our future relies on you. Your innovative minds, your intentional collaboration, and your sincere desire to nourish the world. Your work may be local, but at Cargill, your impact will be global. Join our community to cultivate your curiosity, develop meaningful relationships and propel your career.
Our Engineering Co-ops work in one of our many production facilities located in communities across the United States. Cargill’s diverse businesses include Agricultural Supply Chain North America (CASCNA), Cocoa and Chocolate North America (CCNA), Global Edible Oil Solutions North America (GEOS), Cargill Bio Industrial (CBI), Protein and Salt (CPS), Starches and Sweeteners and Texturizing Solutions (CSST). There, you will learn to lead production or maintenance employees, project teams, contractors or technical operations teams executing on critical initiatives and projects in a fast-paced, production environment. Although business processes vary, the design of this role provides appropriate exposure to the people management and technical components of the role. The intent of the Engineer Co-op role is to allow individuals to be exposed to the technical and management aspects of engineering, while beginning to develop an interest for longer term career aspirations.
Job duties and responsibilities:
Our Engineer Co-ops will gain experience in Operations Leadership and/or Maintenance & Reliability Engineering role. What lies ahead as a full-time engineer could be a career path in any of the following:
- Production Management Engineers: Lead people, process, and input/product in a plant environment. They will be involved in day-to-day direct supervision of operators and production activities and participate in daily production management meetings. Engineers will learn how to comprehend and handle all aspects of government regulations and compliance programs including environmental, health, safety, maintenance, and housekeeping. Production Management Engineers typically develop teams of production employees within the first two years of their careers and have responsibility for hiring, scheduling, motivating, and handling employee relation issues. They will also be involved in process optimization, equipment, and process reliability, and may run capital projects.
- Environmental Engineers: Work with various teams, processes and assets related to the effective operation of refrigeration, steam, freshwater distribution, hot water, and compressed air systems in a plant environment. As well as the operation of a large-scale Wastewater Treatment Plant (WWTP) and be responsible for the programs related to environmental compliance and regulatory permitting. They will be involved in the day-to-day supervision of operators and technicians, have responsibility over their daily work and planning activities. This could include weekly maintenance, capital projects and process improvement.
- Process/Project Engineering: Responsible for business case development, vendor selection, budget management, and project management responsibilities for major projectsand improvements involving process optimization, safety, quality, infrastructure, and energy use. They have heavy involvement with various innovation processes, idea generation systems, and reliability centered design, and they help implement technical initiatives driven from global Process Development Groups, Centers of Excellence, and Research & Development.
- Maintenance & Reliability Engineers: Engage teams, improve processes, and utilize assets related to the effective operation of facility production to ensure downtime and repair costs are minimal. Supervise specialized teams and work activities related to runtime. Lead short- and long-term planning activities including weekly maintenance activities, capital projects and process improvement utilizing tools such as: Reliability Centered Maintenance (RCM), Failure Modes and Effects Analysis (FMEA), Root Cause Analysis (RCA), 5S and 5-Why to the prevention of equipment failures.
- We offer both housing assistance and relocation reimbursement to co-ops who qualify (based on mileage).
- Day–to-day transportation to and from work is the responsibility of the co-op.
Throughout the internship, interns and co-ops are encouraged to take part in events that will give exposure to leadership, provide development opportunities, and offer the ability to network with cross-functional interns/co-ops across the U.S.
- Co-ops who demonstrate outstanding performance and a curiosity to learn more may be offered a second internship/co-op or full-time position for the following year.
- As employees, co-ops receive access to volunteer and community outreach opportunities and paid time off to participate in volunteer activities.
- Co-ops are paid and are at least 7-8 months in duration
- Internships are typically 12 weeks in duration.
- Interns are paid hourly for time worked.
- Interns are responsible for transportation to and from work.
- Various plant locations across the U.S.- must be open to relocation.
- The plant environment is team oriented, fast paced, and hands-on.
- Our environment will focus on employee engagement, inclusion, and innovation.
- Co-ops are given the opportunity to showcase their skills and gain hands-on experience working on different projects from designing and upgrading current systems, to reviewing and updating plant drawings.
- This job involves physical activity which generally requires a moderate amount of exertion on a regular basis – involving bending, stooping, squatting, twisting, reaching, working on irregular surfaces, occasional lifting of objects weighing over 50 pounds and frequent lifting of 10-25 pounds. The work may also involve other exertions, conditions, or exposures (i.e.- heat, cold, grain dust, etc.).
No matter who you are or where you are, we have resources to meet your needs. As a co-op, you’ll have access to a wide variety of programs to support you and help you thrive. Eligible programs and incentives include:
- Paid time off
- Mental Health and Wellbeing program
- Digital Learning Library
- Housing and Relocation Assistance for those that qualify
- Currently pursuing a bachelor’s or a master’s degree in Chemical Engineering (ChE), BioChemical Engineering (BChE), Mechanical Engineering (ME), Biosystems Engineering (BSE), Agricultural Engineering (AgE), Mining Engineering (MinE), Electrical Engineering (EE), Industrial Engineering (IE), Environmental Engineering, Packaging or other related engineering discipline
- Bachelor’s/master’s degree to be/recently completed between December 2023 – May 2025
- Right to work in the U.S. that is not based solely on possession of a student visa or a visa sponsored by a third-party employer
- Proven ability to work optimally with individuals from a diverse set of backgrounds and cultures
- Candidates must be geographically flexible and willing to relocate for a co-op/internship opportunity anywhere in the U.S.
- Able to complete a 12-week internship in Summer 2023 (May/June – August 2023)
- Must possess a high degree of initiative and resourcefulness in completing work with limited guidance
- Previous plant, production, co-op, or intern experience preferred.
- Overall 2.7 GPA preferred.
- Ability to relate technical knowledge to job-related duties.
- Demonstrated ability to solve problems and make decisions independently.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Leadership experience
Job/Req. ID: 223110
Location: Multiple U.S Locations